Print projects have included sports and general assignment reporting for a weekly newspaper in Moore, OK, covering city and school governments in Midwest City and Del City for The Oklahoman, writing feature stories as a stringer for the Dallas Morning News and the Oklahoma Gazette, and serving as editor of the 1982 Oklahoma State University Yearbook. Graphics skills including logo design and branding.
Film and video projects included work as a production coordinator, grip and production assistant on feature films and documentaries, national and local commercials, and more recently editing of corporate and political productions using non-linear tools such as Final Cut Pro X.
Experience includes extensive use of WordPress as an online publishing tool for media and other organizations along with the use of various paid online advertising platforms, including Google, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
Have spent more than 30 years working with and on Macintosh computers and using Unix tools such as Apache, MySQL and PHP for server applications. Starting in 2008, began developing mobile websites and apps using iOS developer tools. Wide range of experience in electronics, including the digital transition to HDTV starting in 1999.
Active with Payne County Democratic Party from 2010 until 2015, serving as Chair from 2013-2015 and Secretary from 2012-13. As chair, provided voice of the party through weekly e-mail newsletters, social media and printed materials. Chair duties also included raising more than $50,000 to support a full-time headquarters, planning and executing elaborate fundraising and political events, promoting candidates, and encouraging citizen participation through volunteerism and action.
JB 3623 | Internet Communications — Developed a curriculum for training young journalism, advertising, public relations and broadcast students in the use of the internet as a communications medium as a lecturer in the Oklahoma State University School of Journalism and Broadcasting. Focus was on the use of WordPress software to learn basic HTML, CSS, graphic design, audio, video and written communication for the web by creating an individual web site as a comprehensive project. Classwork also included training in Adobe Creative Suite and an overview of open source software. (Spring 2006-Spring 2008)
Meridian Technology — Custom training for private industry transitioning to WordPress. (2015-present)
- This I Believe Inc. — Converted more than 60,000 essays on thisibelieve.org from a custom LAMP site to one based on WordPress through a variety of custom and open source plugins and themes. This historic project, based on an original series started by Edward R. Murrow in the 1950s, has produced several best selling books, a variety of cd compilations and audiobooks, and was featured as a series on National Public Radio from 2005 to 2009. It serves as an educational curriculum for elementary, high school and college programs around the world. The site was reworked in 2012 to add a responsive design for mobile browsers and has been upgraded several times to take online donations and sell digital and physical goods. (5/2008-Present)
- NonDoc — Writing a series of articles using local musicians as a metaphor for larger problems in society such as healthcare, business and death. The stories also include original photographs taken at venues around the state. (2/2016-Present)
- Drumright Dental Center — Took over maintenance and content updates for an existing WordPress site for a large dental practice based in North Central Oklahoma, including integration with social media and email and a focus on engagement to attract new patients using ads on Facebook, Google and YouTube. (11/2015-Present)
- Oklahoma Academy of General Dentistry — Converted and designed a new WordPress website for Oklahoma professional organization for dentists. The implementation includes online sales of continuing education workshops to dentists and their practices. (10/2015-Present)
- Cimarron Breeze Concerts — Developed a dedicated WordPress eCommerce website for online sales of tickets to an ongoing series of concerts hosted by Monica Taylor using WordPress which includes an historical archive featuring photographs and video from past concerts. In addition, I manage social media, write electronic newsletters and create electronic media for promoting the venue and the series. (6/2015-Present)
- Monica Taylor — The Cimarron Songbird — Converted and designed a WordPress eCommerce website for nationally know red dirt songwriter Monica Taylor. Project included setting up online sales of CDs and other merchandise. (12/2014-Present)
- Timed Lapse — Created a website to experiment with content and create an historic archive of my work as a journalist and filmmaker. Most recently, hooks have been added so that content can be published on Apple News. (12/2010-Present)
- Worlds of Words — Created an online catalog of children's literature for the College of Education at the University of Arizona based on WordPress. Project has included developing custom advanced search methods and plugins along with a system for importing XML files of books into WordPress. The project is currently being modernized for use mobile use. (12/2006-present)
iPhone/iPad App Development
- This I Believe — Developed iPhone application providing access to the This I Believe archive of essays on the iPhone. The app uses data from WordPress RSS feeds and provides a simple way for browsing and searching essays. My role included managing server-side interaction, specifying the user interface, testing the app with external users, coordinating development and publication through iTunes Connect. (4/2009-Present)
Other WordPress Projects
- HDTV in Oklahoma — Created a basic web site for tracking the Digital Television transition in Oklahoma in September 2001. In June 2006, the site was converted from phpWebsite to WordPress. (2001-present)
- Payne County Democrats — Converted web site for the local Democratic Party office from a static iWeb site to WordPress so that it could be tied into social media outlets for the 2010 and 2012 election cycles. Project has included developing custom widget plugins for handling online video, and use of Gravity Forms for managing volunteers. This project also includes the development of a custom Filemaker Pro solution for gathering voter info on Mac, Windows and iOS. (5/2010-Present)
- OK Fire Solutions: How Home Fire Sprinklers Save Lives — Built a simple WordPress-based site for Oklahoma State University's Fire Protection Publications. Project included custom page templates, SEO tweaking and remote training. (12/2012-10/2013)
- Rural Health Works — Created a Wordpress site to replace an existing static site so staff could handle updates to this healthcare organization. Provide ongoing support and consulting. (7/2011-6/2013)
- David Caldwell — Buildt a Wordpress site for a former student, David D'Angelo Caldwell, who is a fashion designer. Caldwell was featured on The Fashion Show, a reality TV program on Bravo, and designed wardrobe for Paula Abdul's dance show on CBS. The revamp of the site is to make it more mobile-friendly and to add the ability to sell David's clothing lines. (7/2010-Present)
- ReVampit LLC — Built a simple WordPress-based promotional site for a Massachusetts-based home renovator. Project included custom page templates, extensive hacking of the WordPress media library, custom widgets, SEO tweaking and remote training. (6/2010)
- Mark Mastronianni for District Attorney — Built a simple WordPress-based site for a District Attorney candidate in Hampden County, Massachusetts. Project included custom page templates, SEO tweaking and remote training. (4/2010)
- Tillona Law LLC — Built a WordPress-based promotional site for a Connecticut-based attorney. Project included custom page templates, a custom blog setup for publishing a newsletter, custom widgets and training. (12/2009)
- Bad Bad JuJu — Converted a Movable Type site into a WordPress blog. While the WordPress conversion plugin handled many parts of the conversion, some aspects, including trackbacks, were not handled and had to be done via SQL. The project included converting an existing design, custom page templates, custom widgets, and mechanisms for redirecting old MT permalinks to the new, more SEO-friendly WordPress permalinks. (11/2009)
- Mideast Youth — Converted podcast episodes that used Podpress plugin to use Blubrry Powerpress plugin, including custom sql and fixing some CSS layout problems after the conversion. (10/2009)
- Dr. Brenda Masters — Designed and hosted a simple site for an Oklahoma State University statistics professor. The site was originally done using phpWebsite, converted to WordPress in 2006, and moved to WordPress.com in 2009. (2002-2009)
- OColly.com — Reinvented the collegiate newspaper that I originally put online in 1996 into a modern media journalism teaching tool, including a content management system based on WordPress to support the publication of the newspaper, blogs, podcasts and video clips. This installation used Gallery for image publishing and integration into WordPress along with OpenX for serving advertising impressions and clicks. This project also involved developing a revenue stream through the hiring and management of student programmers, advertising sales people and student content producers. (5/2007-5/2008)
- Humane Society of Stillwater — Designed and built a web site around phpWebsite content management system that could be updated by board members relatively untrained in HTML. It was converted to WordPress in 2006 with a relatively new design. (2003-2007)
Other Internet Projects
- Stan Clark Companies — Provided initial design and other services to build the Eskimo Joe’s web and retail sites in 1996 and hosted half a dozen web sites during more than 12 years of service, including a primitive ecommerce site for selling merchandise in 1996 that used Filemaker Pro. (6/1995-9/2007)
- Oklahoma State University HLC Accreditation — 2005 — Provided technical consulting in the production of a 256 page book and built a static web site that was also included on CD-ROM with the publication. Project involved the use of a document versioning system and collaboration among multiple offices, on-campus and off. (2004-2005)
- Lazy E Arena/Ranch — Designed and built initial web sites in 1997 that were updated in 2002. In 1992, I also developed a Filemaker Pro-based accounting/tracking system for its veterinary and breeding operations that is still used today in an upgraded form. (1996-2006)
- National Wrestling Hall of Fame and Museum — Created web site covering the history of the sport, including searchable statistical data for more than 12,000 wrestlers in hundreds of events dating from 1904. The original web site was developed using Tango and Microsoft SQL Server software while it was converted to PHP and MySQL in 2002. (1998-2005)
- Oklahoma State University — Managed OSU home page and related pages through nine major design revisions over eight years and multiple technology changes. An early content management system built around a SQL server and Tango middleware was fifth on the InfoWorld 100 list of innovative uses of the internet. The basic foundation for the university was established at the beginning, including a custom directory listing written first in Tango using Butler SQL and later rewritten in php using MySQL, and is still in place. Millions of web pages were served using Macintosh technology from Mac 7.5 to Mac OS X Panther Server, including conversion to Apache, PHP and MySQL in 2002. (1995-2002)
- Stillwater Convention and Visitors Bureau — Designed and built a web site around phpWebsite content management system that could be updated by staff untrained in HTML. (2004)
- Daily O'Collegian — Created the first daily updated web site for the student newspaper at Oklahoma State University. It was been maintained by students since its inception until a switch to Collegiate Media Network in 2009. (1996)
- National Wrestling Hall of Fame and Museum — Using data from its public web site, Macintosh-based kiosks were built so that the data could be accessed via large touch screen monitors using a standard web browser. Initial design used Netscape DHTML techniques while a redesign in 2002 moved the concept to Internet Explorer and then-current standards-based CSS and HTML. (1998-2005)
DVD and Video
- OSU Athletic Department — Specialized videography for Development and Major Gifts. (2006-2007)
- Stillwater National Bank — Projects included motion graphics for a human resource training video, editing quarterly financial presentations for distribution using e-mail and Flash for an expanding regional bank services company. (2005-2006)
Worked as a freelance production assistant, grip, production coordinator and residuals coordinator for more than 10 years on a wide range of film projects. Recurring clients included Lazy E Productions, Inc. and Brightwater Media.
My Heros Have Always Been Cowboys (1989-94) [residuals]
Shadows On The Wall (1988-94) [residuals]
Dark Before Dawn (1987-94) [production coordinator, post production coordinator and residuals]
Near Dark (1986) [local production coordinator]
Free Enterprise (1986) [production coordinator]
Morgan Horse Show (1986) [production coordinator]
Selected Commercial Credits
Kerr-McGee, Brightwater Media [production coordinator] (1992, 1990)
Brunswick Rhino bowling balls, Brightwater Media [production coordinator] (1990)
AT&T, Cinematic Directions, directed by Haskell Wexler [production coordinator] (1988)
Remington Park, Denali Films [production coordinator] (1988)
Blue Cross & Blue Shield, Atkins Film/Video Productions [production coordinator] (1987)
Toby Keith (1993)
Writing & Editing
- Free-lance writing and editing experience for all media since 1982, including nearly four years of reporting experience with newspapers such as The Daily Oklahoman and The Dallas Morning News.
- Projects included supporting the publication of a 4-color, 256-page publication for OSU's 2005 HLC Accreditation book using InDesign and Version Cue, writing four chapters of a Texas junior high computer literacy textbook for The Mazer Corporation in 1989, and serving as editor of the 1982 Redskin Yearbook at Oklahoma State University.
- In addition, designed and edited Location: Oklahoma!, a quarterly newsletter covering the film industry in Oklahoma, designed and compiled annual reports and served on several committees for the Oklahoma Film Office between 1985 and 1992.
- Pierson, Ball & Dowd — Freelance Legal Assistant. Performed legal, financial, statistical and factual research for Western Branch Office of Pierson, Ball & Dowd, a law firm specializing in First Amendment, communications and securities law under the direction of attorney Michael Minnis. (1983-1986)
Computers and Software
Expert, owner and user of Apple Macintosh equipment since 1985, from Mac OS 1 to Mac OS X, from Motorola 68k to PowerPC to Intel. Mac client solutions have included scripting solutions including Applescript, Automator and perl along with shell scripts using the unix underpinnings of Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server. Paid Apple developer with working knowledge of XCode, including developing applications for iPhone and iPad.
Expert level knowledge of Apple's operating systems, including Mac OS X and iOS;
Apple Final Cut Studio, including Final Cut Pro X, Compressor, Motion and DVD Studio Pro;
Apple Quicktime, including MPEG-4 conversion for iTunes, desktop and mobile devices, streaming media, and podcast production;
Apple iLife, including iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto and Garageband;
Apple iWork, including Keynote, Pages and Numbers;
Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop and Illustrator, and third-party alternatives;
Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel since the original Macintosh versions back in the 1980s;
Bare Bones BBEdit, Textwrangler and Yojimbo;
Omni Group's OmniOutliner, OmniGraffle and OmniFocus;
Filemaker Pro 2.x-12.x, including Filemaker Go and Filemaker Pro Advanced by Filemaker, Inc.;
Google Applications, including GMail, Calendar, Documents, and Maps
Working knowledge of Ubuntu client and Windows from a web host and developer's perspective.
Mac OS X Server, 10.0 to present;
Working knowledge of Linux and BSD servers as server deployment platforms;
Apache, WebStar and IIS web servers;
PHP, Perl, Tango and Netcloak web scripting languages;
MySQL, Primebase, MS SQL Server, and Butler SQL database servers;
Domain name servers and formats, and
- Payne County Democrats — County Chair, Volunteer, webmaster. (4/2010-present)
- Humane Society of Stillwater — Member, board of directors, personnel committee liaison, chairman of technology committee. (2003-2007)